All about food

All about food

Monday, October 26, 2015

Cajun Chicken Tomato Rice

This recipe caught my eyes as I was browsing through my Facebook about a week ago.  As usual, I am always interested in trying a hand on 'one pot dish.'  Running through the ingredients needed to come up with this dish, I found myself lacking one very important ingredient, which is the Cajun Seasoning.  The next day, I found myself coming home happily with a bottle of this Cajun Seasoning and here's the outcome of what I've cooked....

Ingredients: (Serves 2)
Rice
3/4 cup long grain rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/2 tbsp chicken stock granules
Dash of grounded black pepper
1 medium tomato (wash and cut a cross at the bottom)

Chicken
1 boneless chicken thigh and drumstick (cut into bite-size pieces)
1/2 tbsp cajun seasoning
1/2 onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 medium red capsicum (cut into small cube)
Dash of salt
Parsley (for garnish)
Olive Oil

Methods:
  • Put the washed rice into the rice cooker, add in water, chicken stock granules, black pepper and give it a stir.  Place the tomato, bottom side up in the center of the rice, put the lid on and hit the START button.
  • Combine the cajun seasoning with the chicken and mix to coat.
  • Heat a flat pan, add a little olive oil, fry chicken and turning them until cooked through. Dish onto a plate and set aside for later use. (if you are cooking for a much bigger portion, fry the chicken in batches and do not overcrowd the pan)

  • Wipe the pan for frying the chicken earlier with the kitchen towel, add in a little more olive oil, saute chopped onion until soft, add garlic and cook for another few seconds till fragrant, then add the red capsicum and a dash of salt, continue to cook while stirring until soft.  Dish and set aside.


  • When rice is cooked, use the rice cooker spoon to mush the tomato and stir into the rice.

  • Add the cooked capsicum, chicken and stir till well combined. 
  • Sprinkle chopped parsley and serve hot.



I cooked this one pot dish for lunch and since I am cooking it for two portion, I hand delivered half of the portion to my mum for her to taste.  As I've said earlier, my mum is not a fussy eater, any food are sure to satisfy her taste buds, but I always ask her for constructive comments for further improvements.

This recipe is adapted from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe.

No comments:

Post a Comment