All about food

All about food

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Tang Yuan aka Glutinous Rice Balls

In the olden days, Tang Yuan is only homemade and served once a year, during the Dongzhi Festival or commonly known as Winter Solstice Festival.  It is a festival celebrated by the Chinese all over the world.  Throughout my childhood years, I only know of Tang Yuan served with sweetened soup, which comes in colors of white and pink, and without any filling.  

Today, Tang Yuan aka Glutinous Rice Balls are served as Desserts with different colors, flavors, and many types of yummylicious fillings; in food stalls, restaurants and even home kitchens.  

Personally for me, I made Tang Yuan to enjoy any time throughout the year, especially as and when I feel like eating them ~ smile ~

I am happy to share the different types of Tang Yuan which I've made....




Traditional Tang Yuan

- without filling

- color of white and pink





My grandson loves to help in the making whenever he is back in hometown.








Without filling served with local barley soup






Tang Yuan of pandan flavor and wrapped with creamy mashed purple sweet potato with condensed milk and butter




Filling of black sesame paste






Tang Yuan served with wheat berries in light coconut milk








My recipe tips of making Tang Yuan aka Glutinous Rice Balls is very simple.  In a bowl, add glutinous rice flour (amount according to how much you want to make), then add room temperature water, bit by bit, and mix until you get a dough. Knead until smooth.  If you prefer your Tang Yuan to be soft, add a bit more water; I always prefers a chewy Tang Yuan, so I add less water, and knead it a little longer!

Enjoy making your own Tang Yuan in the comfort of your sweet home ~ cheers ~


No comments:

Post a Comment