All about food

All about food

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Skinless Longganisa (Filipino Sausage)

Processed sausages are commonly used in home cooking as it is convenient to obtain and easy to cook.  Though I've been wanting to try a hand on it but the tedious process of filling the meat into the casings draw me away from my thoughts.  However, as I was browsing through the KusinaMaster.asia website recently I found this interesting recipe which makes me to doubt no more.  Here's to share with all.....


Ingredients:
1 kilo ground pork (10% fat)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp fine salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp light soy sauce
drizzle of dark soya sauce 
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp grounded black pepper

Methods:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
  2. Roll the pork mixture to fit in a 4 1/2" x 3" wax paper.
  3. Repeat till all is done.
  4. Store in an air tight container and put in the freezer for 3 hours or until ready to cook.
  5. To cook heat oil in a wok or frying pan.
  6. Unwrap the sausages and fry in batches in the hot oil till fully cooked.
  7. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Notes:  I made slight amendments to the original recipe to fit into my home cooking.  I did not use the oil fried method as in 5, instead another method which my daughter Karen learned when she's in Philippines, which is supposed to be the original method of cooking Longganisa, this Filipino Sausage. Heat a flat pan, in medium-low heat, add some water (not too much) into the pan, when about to simmer unwrap the sausages, lay them in the pan (in batches) and let it simmer slowly.  Turn the sausages over, and as the water starts to dry up the oil from the ground pork will start to appear.  Turn to make sure all the sides are properly cooked through and a golden brown colour is obtained. Dish and serve!  With the remaining leftover sausages in my freezer, I will use the oil-fried method to experience the difference between the two methods of cooking it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment