All about food

All about food

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Stir-fried Hakka Yam Abacus Seeds

While I was watching an Asian Food Channel Program (AFC) hosted by Jason some time ago, he introduced this Tasty Hakka Suan Phan or popularly known as Abacus Seeds from Gerai Seong Kee, Stall 35, at Taman Selera, Jalan Othman, PJ Old Town.  Not long afterwards, I saw postings by Kenneth Goh in Food Bloggers and Foodies United as well as some of the members.  

To be frank, I have never tasted this dish before, and being a Hakka myself I've decided to digest this recipe, find out more information about it online and finally I made my first attempt and it turns out great!  From the starting of making the dough, which is the Yam Abacus Seeds, I have to put on my thinking cap (bearing in mind that I have never tasted this dish before), as well as my touch senses from my fingers as I gradually add the hot water into the dough, to come up with a just right texture. Guess, a good research always comes with a satisfying result ~ Hi-5 ~

Ingredients:
(A) Yam Abacus Seeds
350 g yam (peeled and cubed)
75 g tapioca flour
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
Enough hot water

Methods:
  1. Steam the yam until soft, lift out from the steamer and immediately drizzle oil and sprinkle salt into the yam and mashed until fine.
  2. Add in tapioca flour and slowly add in bit by bit of the hot water and mix with a spatula.
  3. When the dough is not too hot for our hand to handle, knead the dough, continue to add a bit of hot water until it become smooth, does not stick onto our hands and when we roll it, it will not crack or fall into pieces.  
  4. To make the abacus seeds I take a small portion of the dough and cover the rest which are still in the bowl with a damp cloth to prevent the remaining dough from drying out.
  5. Take a bit of the dough, roll into ball and press the center using our thumb and index fingers to form an indentation in the middle.
  6. Place the seeds in a container lined with parchment paper and put another piece of parchment paper on top for purpose of stacking the seeds to avoid them from sticking together.  Repeat with the rest of the dough until all is done. At this stage the abacus seeds can be stored in the freezer.  I will leave them in room temperature for a while before cooking, however, a source says it doesn't needs thawing.  
(B)  Frying Ingredients & Seasonings: (1 serving only)
  • Yam abacus seeds

  • 2 shallots (minced)
  • 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
  • 2 tbsp minced pork
  • 2 dried mushrooms (soaked and thinly sliced)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp dried shrimps (washed, soaked and drained)
  • 2 pieces black fungus (washed, soaked and sliced)
  • some chopped spring onions (not in picture)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp oyster sauce
  • dash of white pepper
  • drizzle of shaoxing wine
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
Methods:
  1. In a pot of boiling water, drizzle a bit of oil, add in the yam abacus seeds and let it boil.  Once the abacus seeds floats to the top they are cooked. Dish using a slotted spatula and put them into a bowl.
  2. In a medium heated wok add in cooking oil, saute minced shallots and chopped garlic, then add in mushrooms, dried shrimps and minced pork.  Stir fry until the ingredients are well mixed and fragrant.
  3. Put in the abacus seeds, give it a stir, then add in all the seasoning ingredients and stir until well mixed.
  4. As the dish is done, add in the chopped spring onions, give it another quick stir, off the heat, dish on a serving plate and serve hot!

I am very happy for the success of this dish, which is my first attempt.  I cooked a serving for my mum to taste and she gave me a "Thumbs-Up!"  I am proud of myself, being a Hakka who can come up with this Hakka Dish ~ cheers, cheers ~

No comments:

Post a Comment