All about food

All about food

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Classic French Toast

My family loves French Toasts, even using the simplest way to prepare it and with few simple ingredients, it is fine for us.  As I came across this American Classic French Toast recently, and is still thinking of what to cook/make for my lunch; and with the leftover day-old Hainanese Bread sitting on my counter top, was thinking... why not make myself this French Toast?? Well, I enjoyed them as they are delicious.

Ingredients: (serves 2)

1 large egg

2 tbsp. unsalted butter (melted), plus more for frying

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. milk

2 tbsp. cream

2 tbsp. granulated sugar

1/3 cup plain flour (sifted)

1/4 tsp. salt

4 slices bread (cut into 1/2" thick)

Icing sugar, cinnamon sugar or maple syrup/honey for serving - I did not use


Methods:

  1. In a shallow baking dish, lightly beat eggs.  Whisk in butter, milk and cream together until combined.  Add sugar, flour and salt; continue whisking until mixture is fairly smooth.  Set aside.
  2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat until hot.  Swirl a little melted butter in the pan to evenly coat the pan.
  3. Meanwhile, stir the egg mixture again, soak 2 bread slices in the egg mixture for a minute.  Turn and let soak for another minute.  Carefully lift the soaked bread slices from the batter, letting any excess drip back into the baking dish, and transfer to the hot pan.  Cook until browned, turn the slices over and cook until browned on the other side.  Transfer the French toast to a platter.  Repeat with the remaining batter and bread slices, adding butter to the pan as needed.
  4. Serve warm with your choice of toppings.  I did not use, instead, I just serve these yummylicious French Toast with grapes.
I adapted this recipe from 'Taming of the Spoon' with slight adjustment to suit my preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment