All about food

All about food

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Easy Yaki Udon

The leftover udon noddles from our family's Steamboat have been sitting in my fridge and I have been thinking what to do with it.  As I was browsing through some of the online recipes I came across this "Easy Yaki Udon."  As usual anything easy and simple always interest me.  It has been my principle to cook something easy and simple for one serving, especially for myself as I am not a picky eater and I always enjoyed trying new food. Though I have been cooking for many long years, but I have never tried stir-frying udon in soy based sauce.  I believe it is never too late to experiment this popular Japanese noodles dish.

What you need: 


1/2 packet udon noodles
2 bunch cai xin (sawi) - cut into 2" pieces
some pork slices
5 medium prawns (peeled and deveined)
some julienne red carrot
1/3 onion (thinly sliced)
2 dried mushrooms (washed, soaked and sliced)
2 sprigs spring onion (washed and cut into 2" length)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 1/2 tbsp water

Seasonings:
1/2 tbsp mirin
1/2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Dash of dark soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar

How to cook:
  1. In a heated wok add cooking oil, saute onion, add in mushrooms, stir-fry for a minute, then add in pork slices, fry for aother minute and finally add in prawns, and continue to fry until prawns have turned pink. Turn the heat to low and dish out the cooked ingredients and set aside.
  2. In the same wok, turn the heat to medium, add in udon noodles and 1 1/2 tbsp of water, give it a quick fry to break up the noodles, then add in red carrot, the cooked ingredients from (1) and give it a quick mix. 
  3. Next, add in the sauce ingredients follow by cai xin (sawi) and toss together to combine.
  4. When cai xin has wilted, add in spring onions, give it another toss and off the heat.
  5. Dish onto a serving plate and lunch is ready to be served!

This noodle dish is a keeper and it taste deliciously YUMMY!  It is 'Simple Yet Yummylicious!"

Recipe adapted from Sharon Lam with slight amendments.

No comments:

Post a Comment