All about food

All about food

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Thai Tapioca Dessert

Tapioca has always been my favourite dessert since young. I get it peeled, cut into sections of about 2", halved them if it is big or else leave it as it is, boiled with lid on in a pot of water just enough to cover the tapioca with a sprinkle of salt (amount depending on your own preference), and once it has soften (I use a fork to check on doneness), I will pour off the excess water, put it back on low heat with lid on for about one quick minute, and, there it is... ready to be served! This is how I cook my 'Simple Yet Yummylicious' tapioca.  I will normally cook slightly more and keep the leftover in an airtight container in the fridge.  It is still as yummylicious when eaten cold.

Today, I am bringing this tapioca dessert to the next level... a dessert which I enjoyed once upon a time at a local Thai Restaurant, i.e. "Thai Tapioca Dessert."  I have been wanting to try a hand on it, finally, I made it! 


Ingredients:
400g tapioca (peeled and cut into sections and halved)
2 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
few leaves of pandan (washed and knoted)
enough water

Coconut milk mixture:
150 ml. thick coconut milk
pinch of salt
3/4 tbsp rice flour mix with 1/4 cup of water (I mix with more water as I am using the thick coconut milk)

Methods:

  • In a deep pot, add tapioca, enough water to cover the tapioca, sugar,  pandan leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let it simmer until the tapioca is soft. Off the heat and let it rest in the pot for a while longer in order to let more syrup sips into the tapioca flesh and has cooled down.  Dish out the cooked tapioca and put aside for later use.
  • In the meantime, add the coconut milk, salt and rice flour mixture into a small pan. Bring to boil using medium-low heat, stirring often until the coconut milk starts to thicken. Dish into a bowl.

  • To serve, cut the tapioca into thinner slices and place them in a serving plate. Drizzle coconut milk over the top and dessert is ready to be served!



This yummy dessert recipe is adapted from Sifu Kenneth Goh with slight amendments to suit my cooking needs and taste buds.


No comments:

Post a Comment