All about food

All about food

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Kuih Momo

Kuih Momo, or commonly known as Kuih Makmur or Ghee Cookies are the favorite of many.  I too love this cookies but the bought ones never satisfy my taste buds.  Instead of 'melt-in-the-mouth' the textures are more to biscuits.  In regards to taste, I prefer it to be milky-ghee taste.  With my fussy taste buds I can't buy one that meets my requirement, so I need to bake it myself.  This is one recipe which meets all my taste bud's requirement, so I am sharing with all my readers out there....


Ingredients:
150g ghee
200g plain flour (sifted)
150g milk powder
pinches of salt
Adequate icing sugar for rolling the baked cookies

Methods:

  1. Stir fry the flour in a pan for about 5 minutes under medium heat.  Cool and set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl with ghee, add in plain flour, milk powder and salt.  Use your hand to lightly knead until the dough is well combined.  Let it rest/chill for half an hour in the refrigerator.  If you can handle the soft dough, this step is optional.
  3. After resting/chilling, pinch the dough and shape into round balls.  The sizes of the balls depends on your preference.
  4. Put the balls in a lined baking tray.  Repeat until all is done.  If the dough is too soft, chill again.
  5. Bake in a preheated oven of 160 degree Celsius for 8 to 10 minutes.  When it is out of the oven, roll the cookies in a bowl of icing sugar.  You have to be careful as the balls are very hot and fragile.  Transfer the sugar dusted balls to paper baking liners and leave it for complete cooling.  When cooled store them in air tight container.

I've made these yummylicious cookies for CNY and it doesn't last long.  I baked another batch to satisfy my cravings.

This recipe is adapted from Kenneth Goh of "Food Bloggers and Foodies United."

2 comments:

  1. can d cookie batter chilled in fridge for few days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried but I think it can, just that you need to take out and leave in room temperature as the dough will be hard. Hopefully it won't affect the soft melt-in-the-mouth texture 😊

    ReplyDelete