All about food

All about food

Monday, November 30, 2015

Stir-fried bottle gourd with dried prawns

Recently there are lots of this gourds, which comes in different shapes and sizes in the market. A favourite of my childhood days which my mum used to cook it in savory soup with a bit of shrimp paste or locally known as belacan. As it is also my mum's favourite, I decided to buy a small one to cook for both me and my mum's lunch.  


Few simple ingredients
1 bottle gourd
1/2 tbsp dried shrimps
2 shallots (sliced)
3 garlic (chopped)
Water
1 tsp chicken stock granules
Dash of salt (to taste) 
2 tbsp cooking oil

Few simple steps:
  1. I use a peeler to peel off the skin of the gourd, wash, shred and set aside for later use.  For stir-frying it's good to buy a fresh young one so that the seeds can also be eaten and is sweeter.
  2. Wash, soak and drain the dried shrimps. If your dried shrimp is the bigger size ones, give it a coarse chop.  I use the small white ones, so I use it whole.
  3. In a heated wok, add in cooking oil, saute shallots and garlic, followed by the dried shrimps and stir-fry until fragrant.
  4. In goes the shredded gourds, give it a few quick stir, then add in the chicken stock granules, stir to mix, and add in water.
  5. Taste for correct seasonings, sprinkle in a dash of salt if needed.
  6. If the sauce dries up too fast and the gourd is not cooked yet, add a bit more water according to your preference.
  7. Once the gourd is cooked, off the heat, dish and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment