All about food

All about food

Monday, May 29, 2017

Steamed Fresh Water Prawns

Having some fresh water prawns in my freezer, given by my brother-in-law, I've decided to steam them for lunch last Sunday.  With myself and hubby busy with the general house clearing and cleaning I might as well cook us a simple 2-course meal.

Ingredients:
14 Fresh water prawns 
4 cloves garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
1 red chili (deseeded and finely diced)
3 tbsp cooking oil (for frying the garlic)

Seasonings: (Mix into a bowl)
1 1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
1 tsp chicken stock granules
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
Dash of sugar
Dash of grounded white pepper
2 tbsp water

1 tbsp garlic oil (drizzle over the prawns before steaming)

Methods:

  1. Clean prawns, make a slit along the middle of the back, deveined and also make a cut on the head (to ease cooking), and arrange them on a large plate.
  2. Add cooking oil into a low heated wok, fry garlic until golden, remove from oil onto a plate, and dish the garlic oil onto a small bowl.
  3. Spoon the seasonings over the prawns.
  4. Sprinkle fried garlic and diced chilies on top.
  5. Drizzle 1 tbsp garlic oil over the top.
  6. Steam using high heat for few minutes and until the prawns turned red.  To check whether it is cooked, I use a fork to pierce on the biggest prawn, if it can go through easily, means it is cooked.  I don't like to over steam my prawns as it will becomes hard.
  7. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Before steaming

The prawns are cooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment