All about food

All about food

Friday, April 1, 2016

Apple Crumble

This morning, as I was flipping through an old recipe book given by a friend few days ago, I came across this Apple Crumble recipe.  Not only is the recipe simple but also the portion suits me well and after running through the ingredients, I happen to have all the needed ingredients. So, why wait!  Let's bake it for my lunch...


Ingredients:
1 green apple (peeled, cored and cut into bite-size pieces)
2 tsp granulated sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon
1/4 cup water

Crumble:
1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
3 tsp rolled oats
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
pinch of ground nutmeg
15 g butter

Methods:
  1. Place the green apple, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon and water in a small wok and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the apple is tender.
  2. Remove from heat, drain and mash with a manual Kitchenaid Mixer to give a chunky mixture.  Spoon onto a prepared dish.
  3. To make the crumble, place the flour, oats, brown sugar and nutmeg in a bowl and mix well.  Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  4. Sprinkle over the apple and bake in a preheated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes, or until crumble is golden and crunchy.
  5. Ready to serve...

I love the Crumble on the top, crunchy and soft, even after it has cooled down to room temperature.  I will try using banana to make Banana Crumble, which is my son Aaron's favourite.  

Recipe adapted from Cooking for One, Page 110.

No comments:

Post a Comment