All about food

All about food

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Stir-fried longevity noodles with Chinese leek

This is a late post, which I replicate and cook many countless times in my home kitchen but never gets the opportunity to get it published in my blog. 

Sometimes last year, a friend of mine gave me a lunch treat to this delicious, simple yet yummylicious dish nearby to her office at 10th Mile, Kuching.  I fell in love with it immediately and told my friend that I would like to replicate this dish.  My first try out was a success and my whole family enjoyed it too.  From thenceforth I have been cooking it over and over again.

To those who are interested, here's to share....



Ingredients:
  • A packet of longevity noodles (boiled until soft and drain)

  • 3 Chinese leeks (peeled off hard leaves, washed, soaked and cut into thin strips)
  • 4 dried mushrooms (soaked until soft and thinly sliced)
  • 2 tbsp dried shrimps (washed, soaked and leave whole if small, or rough chop)
  • 2 shallots (peeled and sliced)
  • 5 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
  • 4 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1/2 cup water (add half first, add the rest slowly if needed)
Seasonings:
4 tbsp light soya sauce
Dash of salt (to taste, and if needed)

Methods:
  1. Add cooking oil in a medium-low heated wok, add in garlic, stir fry until fragrant and golden, dish out the fried garlic and leave in a bowl for later use.
  2. In the same wok with the remaining oil, reheat the wok and stir-fry the dried shrimps until fragrant, either dish them out onto a bowl or use the spatula to push it to the side of the wok, then add the shallots, stir fry until almost light brown, add in mushrooms and continue to fry until shallots are browned.
  3. Add in Chinese leeks, dried shrimps and stir fry until the leek has slightly wilted.
  4. Add in the longevity noodles, stir to mix with the help of a pair of cooking chopsticks. Add in light soya sauce, stir to combine, then add water and continue to stir fry.  Taste for correct seasoning.  As longevity noodles are slightly salty, do not add salt without tasting or in large amount at one time.
  5. If the noodles are slightly dry, add a bit more water and stir to mix.
  6. When noodles are cooked, remove from heat, dish into a large serving plate, and sprinkle fried garlic over the top.
  7. Serve in separate plates or bowls.
During my second attempt, I add an extra ingredient '3-layer pork' slices. For this, I fry the pork slices after frying the dried shrimps and before adding the shallots in (2).


With or without the meat ingredient, this dish taste awesome!!  I just cooked it for dinner yesterday.  Yum-Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment