All about food

All about food

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Teochew Orh Nee (Sweet Yam Paste with Pumpkin Puree - No Lard)

I have been wanting to try out this recipe for a very long time.  Finally, I came across this recipe without adding lard and since I still have a Yam sitting in my pantry, I decided to try it out.  It's a great recipe...


Ingredients: (serves 2)

240g. yam (peeled and sliced)

25g. granulated sugar (I reduce the sugar, if you prefers sweet add more)

80g. pumpkin (peeled and sliced)

70g. coconut cream (not coconut milk)

Small pinch of salt


Methods:

  1. Steam yam and pumpkin separately.  Mash using a hand masher while it's still hot and place in separate bowls.  For the yam, after I use hand masher, I use an immersion blender to make it really smooth.  
  2. Place mashed yam in a saucepan, add sugar and cook over low heat until sugar has completely melted.  Add dashes of water if you don't like it too thick.  Remove the yam onto a bowl.
  3. In a small saucepan add coconut cream with a small pinch of salt and briefly heat over low heat.  Do not boil.  Remove into a small bowl.
  4. To serve: scoop yam paste into two separate bowls.  Add coconut cream and top with pumpkin puree.  Serve warm or chill.
I adapted this recipe from 'what to cook today' with very slight adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment