All about food

All about food

Monday, May 8, 2023

Pumpkin Barley Drink

Barley have always been my family's favorite drink.  I always make sure that I will keep stock for barley grains in my fridge, especially the locally grown barley.  This time around, as the weather is getting hotter by day, I am using the imported barley, known as Yi Yi Ren or Job's Tear.  As I have some fresh pumpkin in my fridge, I come up with this Pumpkin Barley Drink.  Some of the health properties of Yi Yi Ren are: improve digestions, prevents body heat, boosts immunity and many others.


Ingredients:

50 g. Yi Yi Ren Barley

200 g. pumpkin

2 Liter water (add more if needed, as it evaporates during boiling)

Cane sugar/rock sugar/granulated sugar (to taste)

Screw Pine Leaves/Pandan Leaves - I use 4 leaves


Methods:

  1. Wash pumpkin, discard seeds (use spoon to scoop), remove skin and cut into thin slices.  Steam until soften, mash with masher and set aside.
  2. Wash barley and screw pine leaves; boil with water until barley has soften.  Yi Yi Ren barley takes a longer time to boil as compared to the local barley.
  3. Add the mashed pumpkin and sugar, stir well, taste for sweetness of your preference.  I prefer mine less sweet.
  4. Discard screw pine leaves.
  5. Serve warm or chill.
I adapted this recipe from 'Desirable recipes by Mun Yuen - Amy' with slight adjustments to suit my preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment