All about food

All about food

Friday, June 19, 2020

Din Tai Fung Chilled Cucumber Salad

When I came across this recipe from Asian Food Network (afn) quite a while ago, I tell myself that I would like to give this recipe a try-out.  First and foremost, I love Japanese cucumbers which is crunchy and doesn't have the big seeds like the normal local cucumbers; and secondly, I love pickled cucumbers very much.  

Since I am baking chicken for dinner, and at the same time wondering what greens to put as the sides; then this chilled cucumbers came straight to my mind.  I miss out taking a photo of the chilled cucumbers on it's own, so again I am sharing a photo of it plated together with the baked chicken.


Ingredients:
1 Japanese cucumber
Salt

Marinade: (mix together in a bowl)
3 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. Shaoxing Wine
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (my homemade) to obtain the recipe click here
1/2 tsp. salt

Methods:

  1. Wash, trim and cut cucumbers into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
  2. Sprinkle salt onto cucumbers and toss well to coat, allow to sit in room temperature for 20 minutes.
  3. Rinse cucumbers and pat dry.  Place cucumbers in a zip-lock bag.  Pour marinade over, seal and gently shake to mix.
  4. Lay bag on it's sides and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
  5. To serve:  taste and adjust seasonings with salt and Thai sweet chili sauce.  Arrange on platter and drizzle additional marinade over the cucumbers.  Serve cold.
Notes:
The recipe didn't state the amount of each marinade ingredients used.  So, I just mix based according to my taste preferences.  I don't have mirin, so I replace it with rice vinegar.

This recipe is adapted from 'Asian Food Network' with slight amendments to suit my taste buds and cooking preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment