I love Bitter Melon or also known as bitter gourd; whether it is cooked as Soup, stir-fried, suffed with meat filling, and even juiced. They are really fine for me. One problem is that my hubby and children is not a fan, so the thought of cooking it is just 'once in a blue moon.' However, this is one dish that I will always include if we are having Chap Fun or commonly known as Fast Food in my hometown.
Recently, I came across a Bitter Melon Chicken Soup recipe, and since the weather is rather heaty off late, so I decided to cook it for dinner. I add in more chicken slices just to ensure my hubby have a bowl, without the bitter melon. Anyway, the soup is not bitter at all.
Ingredients:
1/2 bitter melon (washed)
1 tomato (washed and cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 small bowl of chicken slices
2 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
1/2 tsp. minced ginger
Dashes of ground white pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cornstarch/cornflour
1/2 tbsp. Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock or water
Methods:
- In a medium bowl add chicken slices. Marinate with garlic, ginger, salt, white pepper, cornstarch and Shaoxing wine. Mix well and set aside, while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Prepare the bitter melon: Cut the bitter melon into half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and white spongy pith. Slice the bitter melon into thin slices and set aside.
- In a heated wok, add cooking oil, and swirl around the wok. Add in the marinated chicken and stir over high heat for a few minutes or until the meat is slightly charred.
- Pour in chicken stock or water, give it a stir and let it come to a boil. Taste for correct seasoning. I add some chicken stock granules to the soup.
- Once it comes to a boil, add in bitter melon and tomato, and stir to combine. Cook until the bitter melon has almost soften, turn off the heat.
- Ladle into separate bowls and serve immediately while hot. This soup goes well with a plate/bowl of hot fluffy rice.

No comments:
Post a Comment