All about food

All about food

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Thai Roast Chicken with Spicy Sauce

I am trying out this Thai roast chicken recipe with the spicy sauce; and, with an additional agenda in mind ~ smile ~ save the chicken breast for my salad dish.  I was in a hurry, so did not capture any photo of the whole 'spatchcock chicken.'  I love the spicy sauce with the chicken, it's yummylicious....

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (spatchcock)

Marinade:
1 lemongrass, pale part only
4 coriander roots, roughly chopped
8 garlic cloves
1 tsp. ground white pepper
3 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. dark soy sauce

Spicy Dipping Sauce (Nahm Jim Jaew):
1 tsp. raw glutinous rice
1/2 tbsp. thick tamarind juice
1 1/2 tbsp. fish sauce
1/2 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tbsp. chili powder (original recipe calls for chili flakes, but I don' have)
1/2 small red shallots, sliced into fine wedges
1 tsp. finely chopped coriander leaves

Methods:
  1. To make the marinade, use a mortar and pestle to pound the lemongrass, coriander root and garlic to a rough paste.  Stir through the pepper, fish sauce, brown sugar and dark soy sauce.
  2. To spatchcock the chicken, remove the backbone with scissors.  Flip the chicken over so it is facing breast up.  Then push down the breast to flatten it down.  Place chicken in a roasting tin.  Spread the marinade over the chicken, skin side only..  Cook in the convention oven of 170 degree Celsius for 30 minutes.  I give another 5 minutes extra as I did not preheat the oven.
  3. Use the brush to baste the chicken with the cooking juices.  Roast for another 10 minutes.  I turn the chicken over as my convention oven have only top heat.  Continue to bake for another 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through; when pierce with a knife, the meat juices runs out clear.  Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
  4. To prepare the spicy sauce, toast the rice in a dry frying pan over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant.  Use a mortar and pestle to grind to a fine powder.  In a bowl, combine the tamarind, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chili powder/flakes and toasted rice powder.  Mix until well combined.  Then stir through the shallot and coriander.  For information, if you use chili flakes the dipping sauce will have a brighter red colour.
  5. Cut the chicken into portions, and serve with the spicy dipping sauce.  I save the breasts for my salads.
I adapted this recipe from 'Marion's Kitchen' with some amendments to suit my cooking preference.


No comments:

Post a Comment