All about food

All about food

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Light Meals

Chinese will normally served their meals in dishes of either meat, fish, soup and or vegetables served with white rice or fried noodles, beehoon, kuay tiau or even fried rice. Personally for me, most of the time I will cooked a proper meal only for dinner as my hubby and son will be back, while for lunch I will normally cooked myself something simple and light.....

With some leftover sandwich bread, apple, bacon, mozzarella cheese and butter, then I decided to make myself this 'grilled cheese sandwich'.  My daughter Karen have tasted this yummy sandwich made by her colleague when she attended a 'pool party' in Singapore with her colleagues of 'Fit For Fashion.'  I didn't have all the recipes which she mentioned but I just give it a try with some of the available items in hand.

Few simple steps to follow:
  1. Pan fry 2 or 3 pieces bacon (depending on the sizes of the bacon), drain and put aside.
  2. Peel and slice apple thinly.
  3. Ready 2 pieces of bread and spread butter lightly on both sides of the bread.
  4. Heat a non-stick pan in low heat, when heated up put in a piece of the bread, spread a bit of cheese over, arrange the apple slices over the bread, topped with bacon, spread more cheese over and cover with the other piece of buttered bread and pan fry till golden, then turn over with a spatula and continue to pan-fry till done. During pan-frying I will use my spatula to lightly press on the bread to ensure that the sandwich is properly heated through.
  5. Put the sandwich on a platter, cut into two and it's ready to eat!
Note: This sandwich is so CRUNCHY and CHEESY.  It's  'Simple yet yummylicious!'  In my second attempt I use sliced cucumbers and it taste as good as with the apple slices and guess what??  I will be using avocado as Karen have mentioned, it must be incredibly Yummylicious...... Hope it will be soon and will keep you all updated ~ smile ~

Together with the sandwich, I include a slice of my home baked Butter Cake, which was baked two days ago, and here's the recipe to share.....

Butter Cake

Ingredients:
8 eggs
16 oz. butter
14 oz. sugar (put less if you prefer less sweet)
15 oz. flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
1 tsp cream of tartar, sifted
2 tbsp milk

Methods:

  1. Beat butter and sugar for 15 minutes.
  2. Add in eggs one by one, then beat for another 10 minutes. I use a spatula to scrap the side of the mixing bowl often to ensure that all the mixtures are well beaten.
  3. Mix the sifted flour, baking powder and cream of tartar together, then add into the butter and egg mixture by few batches and mix in circular motion till all the flour are used up.
  4. Add in the milk and mix well.  
  5. In a 9 inch square baking tray, I brush with some butter, then sprinkle some flour on it, as well as the sides and pour off excess.
  6. Pour the cake mixture into the baking tray and bake in pre-heated oven of 160 degree Celsius till a bamboo stick inserted comes out clean.

Note:  This is an old recipe handed down from a sister of my late mum-in-law.  I remember this aunt who used to bake us this delicious butter cake many years ago.  I feel so blessed to have her recipe handed down to me, and I will bake this simple butter cake as and when I feel like eating and during festivals. It brings fond memories of both my late aunt and mum-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment