All about food

All about food

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Curried tamarind chicken

This chicken dish which I am going to share is a dish of '3-generations', so to speak! This simple home-cooked dish which was cooked by my late mum-in-law's mother many long years ago, was then brought down to her and finally I get to cook it in my home kitchen, what a blessing! Though this dish comprises of only few simple ingredients, but it takes me quite a while to master it well, especially when comes to strike a good balance to it's curried-sourish-sweet-salty taste and flavour.  

Ingredients:
2 chicken thigh
1 tbsp cooking oil

Marinade & Seasoning:
2 tbsp tamarind
1 cup water
1 tbsp curry powder (watch brand)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt 
3 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce

Methods:
  1. Clean chicken thigh and chop into bite-size pieces and put in a big bowl.
  2. Mix the tamarind with 1 cup water to obtain juice.
  3. Add all the marinade and seasoning ingredients into the chicken pieces, mix till well combined and leave aside till cooking.
  4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok, add in the chicken pieces and the sauce, stir-fry, then put the lid on.
  5. Open the lid to turn over the chicken from time to time till the chicken are cooked and the sauce has thicken. (Add a bit more water if the sauce is too dry and the chicken meat is not fully cooked yet.)
  6. Dish on a platter and serve with rice.
Note:  I prefer to have some sauce with the chicken to eat with rice.  I remember when I was helping out with the cooking for my late mum-in-law, she always requested for 'dry' as that's her preference.  The taste of this dish is very appetizing and it's irresistible.   

No comments:

Post a Comment